Sunday 16 January 2011

The Chrysalis


I've finally started to notice a real difference in my health which I think is due to the Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). In case you've forgotten this is a drug Dr Wight prescribed in September. For a while I only noticed a few slight improvements in my well being, which could be have been due to any of my other treatments, not the Naltrexone at all. However since Christmas I've started to notice some real, huge changes which I think can only have been caused by the Naltrexone. I feel like a butterfly chrysalis that is just reforming and is about to break from its cocoon.

View Image


The biggest difference is in my walking and standing. To be blunt I haven't been able to stand for 11 years or walk either, apart from a short period in 2009, when I was able to walk around the house but not like this. I'm much more stable and it doesn't leave my legs ache like it did before.

I'm now able to do 20-25 mins of yoga every day rather than 10 mins as before. Usually I do the stretches in the 'Before you start' section of my 'Yoga for common ailments' book and then some proper yoga postures from my 'Yoga for you' book. I've now restarted my chair yoga classes, after the Christmas break as well. I particularly emphasise the 'Cows Head' posture and the spinal stretches to try and correct (or at least manage) my scoliosis (crooked spine). I only do the prone and sitting asanas though as I still find holding standing postures difficult. I'm sure yoga has done divends to help my physical well being as, now I'm well enough to walk, disconditioning isn't stopping me from progressing

I have more stamina than I used to but still don't have as much energy as my peers. I spend about 3 to 3 and a half hours lying down, resting, but that could be due to my Mitochondria damage I suppose.

I finally feel like I'm well enough to do some formal study, also for the first time in 11 years, so I am feeling quite a lot better than I was all the same. I left school when I was eight so obviously failed to sit any GCSEs or A-levels. However I've decided to do some level one science courses with the OU which don't require any previous qualifications. The first one I'm doing starts in Feb and is called Neighbourhood Nature so I'm busy swotting up on my graphs and data analyse.

I've been reading up a bit more on LDN. According to the MSRC (Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre) it works by 'the temporary inhibition of endorphins (a natural pain-killer, produced in the brain). This results in a reactive increase in the production of endorphins, which would expectedly result in a reduction in painful symptoms and an increase in the sense of wellbeing. In addition, increased levels of endorphins would also be expected to stimulate the immune system'. However under situations of stress or secondary virus/infection you can still experience flare ups of old symptoms, even relapses so maybe thats why it took a while for it to work for me? Due to the cold and dear Freddie? This info is all intended, of course, for MS sufferers

A few 'before LDN' pics like they have on 'Home and Garden' makeover programmes;

        
The above was taken a few years ago but still applied pretty well last Summer. I spent a lot of time lying down on the same bed with the same kind of expression.


Me at a weekend camp last Summer with my wheelchair.

And after LDN;!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad LDN is helping. I am also using it and have found it really helps the muscle solidness that I was suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you have improved so much. i have heard so much about LDN in relation to ME/CFS but can't find anything to tell me what exactly it does, do you have a link I could read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got some LDN links but not sure if they have any info in relation to ME. I'll be adding more blog posts regarding LDN though

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is the LDN database? Have you seen that? Where it lists loads of different conditions and patients can decide to post their experiences and say how it helped and what they tried before etc.

    I have not posted on there as yet as I wanted to see how it goes. Perhaps other ME people thought the same and that's why there wasn't many last time I looked.

    Really helped my muscle twitches and post walking muscle solidness.

    ReplyDelete