Monday 31 January 2011

Beggining studies with the OU

Ok, not the most imaginative title I know, but it does what it says on the tin as you might say. Its the first formal education I've attempted in 11 years unless you count the casual maths and English lessons my Mum has given me most week days since I was well enough. I've also been on some adult learning workshops run by Suffolk Wildlife Trusts. It was mostly due to these that prompted me to decide to try a OU course and which one.

The course I've chosen to start with is a short science one called 'Neighbourhood nature'. It is all about learning to identify and record the wildlife in your local area. I mainly chose it because it won't be all computer work. Also I enjoy watching nature such as the birds and butterflies in our back garden and visiting nature reserves but have never tried recording what I see before so thought it'd be useful to learn how to. Its run in partnership with OPAL and iSpot. I'm already a member of iSpot but have only submitted one record before so hopefully this course will force me to be a bit more dedicated.

Its meant to be very disabled friendly university as it is nearly all done from home so no travelling, having to negotiate awkward buildings and you can fit your learning around your own time. It asks on the registration form if you have a disability and if you ring 'yes' they automoatically send you a copy of their 'Meeting your needs' brochure detailing all their services for disabled people

Unfortunately even though I definitely said yes, some error occurred whilst it was being processed and they managed not to register this important detail. This meant my Mum had to phone up our local branch to correct them and ask for a copy of the brochure. Still it was very interesting when it did come. I'm now awaiting a comb-backed copy of my study book which hopefully will be easier to use lying down    

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your studies! sounds like a really good course, would love to know more about the wildlife around here!

    ReplyDelete