Friday 12 November 2010

Entering my 19th year (memories of Freddie)

I'm now officially a year older than I was when I last blogged. I can't say I'm sorry to see the back of my 18th year as it was rather stressful from start to finish.

The grand finale of my 18th year was my beautiful baby bear, hairy monster, pigwig thing, Freddie Flintstone passing away. I wasn't expecting it; my Mum just came in on Friday morning, the day before my b'day party and told me he had gone. He'd been fine when I'd fed him the evening before. Freddie was always a little shy but he'd been nibbling fairly normally, snug inside his house. I'd woken up feeling bright and planning the preparations, but as soon as my Mum told me all my energy evaporated.

It was a blow I certainly didn't need. I thought when I started the Naltrexone that it would be the end of all my hard times, but so far all that'd happened was catching a cold, my friend going away to uni, my blog being hacked and now this. I was pretty angry tbh. I felt as if life was spiting me, saying 'oh dear, look theres something that makes Rosalind Amor happy, that'll never do, we'd better put a stop to that'. I know this probably sounds rather overreacting, but my animals are truely the centre of my life, the part that hasn't been swamped by ME. I'm trying to move on and rebuild my life but as soon as put the first block down, life destroys it

A photo of the Flintstones when they were pups with Freddie in his favourite place hiding under Barneys paws. Contrary to the popular cartoon characters Fred was always the shyest of the pair in spite of being twice the size!
Reading an ME magazine. They spent a great deal of time on my bed, cuddling, playing and pooing. When they were little they used to enjoy exploring which often led them to fall off the edge. I remember one incident when he was little and being a bit over frisky when I was trying to rest, picking him up and tucking him under my arm. He did snuggle down with his head resting on my hand but not for long!
In the winter he liked tunneling under the bedclothes and then he'd curl up by my toes. I particularly spent a lot of time cuddling recently as I've been having long rests for at least 2 hours the last year and Fred had better long term bladder control than Barney.
They had an indoor cage next to my bed. 
Feeding. Their favourite foods were celery and home-grown salad leaves. They used to bolt the salad leavesin seconds they loved them so much.
In the garden. The Flintstones were the most outdoory guinea pigs I have ever had. Most of my guinea pigs would simply hide in their wendy houses untill they were taken inside again to their releif but these two actually seemed to rather enjoy it.






A video I made of them one Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment